Senior Legal Counsel more... ▼
|Location:||Saint Louis, MO|
|First posted:||December 30, 2016|
Job ID: REQ20003207
This position will join our team supporting our PBM Sales and Account Management organization. Duties will consist primarily of counseling the organization on legal matters relating to the PBM industry and operations and negotiating PBM agreements between Express Scripts and external clients (health plans and employer groups). The person that fills this role will also assist the business in developing new product offerings and evaluating sales and client negotiation strategies. The qualified candidate must possess an ability to develop detailed understanding of complex business operations and interdependencies in a fast paced environment. Good business judgment based on an understanding of our business is critical. The qualified candidate will have a minimum of 5 years transactional or health law experience with a law firm or in-house legal department. Compensation will consist of competitive base salary, bonus eligibility, and eligibility for equity compensation awards.
- Negotiate complex legal documents, primarily PBM client agreements, including working directly with external clients (health plans and employer groups) and their counsel.
- Day to day legal counseling on miscellaneous regulatory issues affecting the PBM industry (regulatory fraud and abuse issues, impact of the Affordable Care Act, etc.).
- Think strategically with partners from other areas of the business to advise on new business offerings, identify legal or regulatory challenges and present effective solutions.
- Research specific issues or work with outside counsel as required to respond to internal client legal questions.
- Work with other internal legal counsel to identify legal issues with potential cross-divisional impact.
- Review other complex legal issues affecting our PBM business and review the same with external clients.
- Law degree from an accredited school of law with a license to practice law in the State of Missouri (or ability to become licensed in Missouri within a reasonable time period).
- Five plus years of experience in law firm or corporate health law practice with some combination of anti-kickback; fraud and abuse; HIPAA; Medicare and Medicaid regulations; the Affordable Care Act; and experience with general business contracting and transactional matters.
- Experience with a health plan or insurer a definite plus. Transactional attorneys with health industry experience will also be considered.
- Working knowledge of general health law topics, including Federal fraud and abuse regulations and general transactional law knowledge and experience.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills; ability to think strategically and advise the company on new product offerings.
- Superior writing and drafting skills a must.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with clients, both verbally and in writing.
- Large law firm or previous in-house experience a plus.
- Must possess analytical skills necessary for competent legal interpretation.
- Must produce top quality work product, have good attention to detail, the ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines and manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Relocation to St. Louis is required.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Legal manages all legal and regulatory compliance matters impacting business operations. Our teams of attorneys and paralegals have different areas of responsibility, including contract generation, negotiation and procurement. Legal's primary areas of responsibility include overseeing contracting activities and licensing, providing legal advice, ensuring corporate compliance, managing litigation activity, ensuring SEC compliance, and supporting merger and acquisition activity. Legal also drives the company's public affairs efforts at both the federal and state levels.
ABOUT EXPRESS SCRIPTS
Advance your career with the company that makes it easier for people to choose better health.
Express Scripts is a leading healthcare company serving tens of millions of consumers. We are looking for individuals who are passionate, creative and committed to creating systems and service solutions that promote better health outcomes.
Join the company that Fortune magazine ranked as one of the 'Most Admired Companies' in the pharmacy category. Then, use your intelligence, creativity, integrity and hard work to help us enhance our products and services.
We offer a highly competitive base salary and a comprehensive benefits program, including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, 401(k) with company match, life insurance, paid time off, tuition assistance and an employee stock purchase plan.
Express Scripts is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. Applicants must be able to pass a drug test and background investigation.
Express Scripts is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Please mention DiversityJobs.com
if asked how you found this job.