Join Our Team: Change a Life. Change Yours.
At Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital we have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital has been restoring hope and freedom to patients for more than 125 years. Here are five reasons to take your career to the next level at Mary Free Bed:
1. Values-driven culture — Founded in 1891 by a group of Grand Rapids women, we’re an independent, community-owned acute care rehabilitation hospital focused solely on rehabilitation for children and adults. We offer the stability of a large organization while nurturing the family atmosphere of a small organization. That culture is reflected in our patient satisfaction rates and outcome scores, which exceed regional and national benchmarks.
2. Growth — At 167 patient beds, we’re the fifth largest rehabilitation hospital in the country. Our expanding network — which includes Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo, Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, Hackley Hospital in Muskegon and many others — means we can offer services well beyond Grand Rapids.
3. Innovation — We empower our employees to think and perform in innovative ways and we rely on their ideas and insights to maintain our role as an industry leader. From our Motion Analysis Laboratory to customized wheelchair seating and ceiling-mounted ambulation system, we’re always pushing the boundaries to find new ways to help our patients be successful and independent. Our John F. Butzer Center for Research and Innovation identifies our best practices and helps us elevate them to the next level. We partner with Michigan State University College of Human Medicine and others to conduct research and teach medical students about rehabilitation medicine.
4. Challenge — People with extraordinarily complex needs often become patients at Mary Free Bed because of our extensive experience. If you’re a caregiver, you’ll join a team that personalizes the care offered to each patient. Non-caregivers are just as important to our patients. From security and housekeeping to IT and plant services, everyone plays an integral role in helping Mary Free Bed run as effectively and efficiently as possible.
5. Competitive rewards — We have high expectations for our employees. We also have flexible scheduling options and highly competitive salary and benefits packages. We encourage continuing education and provide tuition reimbursement for college classes, seminars and conferences. As a result, many clinicians are additionally credentialed. Our nursing staff includes a significant number of certified rehabilitation registered nurses. Also, the Mary Free Bed Education Institute offers grants to employees who strive to improve patient care and build additional efficiencies into our systems.