Job posting has expiredBack to search results
Research Technician - Sattely Lab
| Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI)|
United States, California, Stanford
|July 22, 2022|
Primary Work Address: Shriram Center for Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering, 443 Via Ortega, Stanford, CA, 94305
Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account.
We are currently seeking a Research Technician to join the lab of Dr. Elizabeth Sattely at Stanford University. Elizabeth Sattely wants to understand and manipulate molecular metabolic pathways in plants with an eye toward improving plant resilience and human health. Sattely and her team combine techniques from biochemistry, synthetic biology, bioinformatics, transcriptomics, immunology, and metabolomics to identify drug-like molecules and elucidate biosynthetic pathways. The applicant will work on a project exploring the contribution of plant molecules toward development of mammalian immune responses to dietary antigens. More information on the lab can be found on their website
The ideal candidate is a highly organized, detail-oriented, a proactive professional who is comfortable working independently. The primary responsibility will be working with research animals (mice) to support a team of postdoctoral fellows and graduate students with their research projects. Responsibilities may include basic animal care, feeding, carrying out physiological assessments, compound preparation and administration, and dissection. A secondary role will be helping with generation and maintenance of transgenic research plants, and performing other molecular biology techniques (cell culture, qPCR, ELISA, immunoblotting). Opportunities for advancement, such as conducting more advanced lab techniques, is possible with increased proficiency of skills.
This position will provide the candidate an excellent opportunity to gain 2-3 years of hands-on research experience before pursuing an advanced degree. As with all roles involving animal work, this position consists of dynamic schedules, which requires some time flexibility (with advanced notice). We are ideally targeting someone who is enthusiastic, passionate about science, and would take pride in working within a cutting-edge scientific lab. The position will require working with allergens (from mice, peanut, egg, potentially others).
What You'll Do:
* Majority of work will be conducting hands-on experiments
* Work independently (following training) and collaboratively on mouse research projects, including some invasive procedures (e.g., gavage, IP injection, IV injection) and dissections
* Responsible for day-to-day animal care and data collection (e.g., weighing mouse food daily, weighing mice weekly)
* Learn to maintain transgenic plants, sometimes in a sterile tissue culture environment
* Perform molecular biology techniques (e.g., ELISA, immunoblotting)
* Occasionally consult research literature for method planning
* Maintain a detailed record of experiments in a physical or digital laboratory notebook
*Prepare and present written or oral progress reports concerning studies, including assembly, organization, and interpretation of data.
* Training others in technical protocols.
* Potential for contributions to scientific publications.
* Attend laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
* Adhere to institutional biosafety and animal care and use standards
* Other tasks as needed to contribute to the efficient and effective functioning of a research laboratory.
Skills and Experience You Bring:
* Bachelor's or master's degree in science (Molecular Biology, Chemistry) or related discipline required.
* Prior experience in a research laboratory is preferred, however candidates with an established work history will also be strongly considered.
* Willingness to work with mice is required; prior experience with mouse handling is a plus.
* Familiarity with sterile technique is preferred, but not required.
* Exemplary organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to keep accurate records of work performed.
* Strong multitasking skills, time management, and commitment to defined schedules.
* Able to perform repetitive tasks without loss of focus or accuracy
* Strong communication skills.
* Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise.
* Ability to apply and perform new techniques and protocols
* Ability to identify areas of confusion and seek help when needed.
* Ability to follow instruction with an eagerness to learn, grow professionally and be mentored.
* Ability to use good judgment in managing deadlines and responding to inquiries.
* Must possess strong computer skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and cloud storage such as Google Drive is required.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet). Work may involve possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job's principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word "may," the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are "essential functions" of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our site to learn more.HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer