Travelport is a place of opportunity. It's our incredible team that makes our company great - our people drive our winning culture.
Travelport is a worldwide travel retail platform that provides easy ways for businesses like airlines, hotels, and car rental companies to connect through personalized content to agencies and travelers. The world is changing, and our industry must change with it. We're leading the change; we are the change.
We are on a mission to power the future of travel; come join us.
What does a great Senior Big Data Engineer I do?
Travelport's Senior Big Data Engineer are tasked with optimizing our data and implementing data pipeline. They will also aid in developing streaming and batch data product platforms. Their expertise will help optimize and unify data platforms and data stores across departments, which aids in Data Scientist research and analysis. These systems are built to support data at a Terabyte or Petabyte scale of data volume and with system processing billions of transactions daily. Travelport has Big Data and sophisticated Big Data Platforms. Travelport employees enjoy a collaborative environment and have opportunities to learn from and share knowledge with other Travelport developers, architects, and business leaders.
- Design and build innovative framework and tools to support all phases of delivering Data Value
- Design and build data pipeline architectures
- Discover, evaluate, and influence best in industry solutions/architectures for Cloud and Hybrid Cloud environments
- Implement systems optimization: optimize streaming products, optimize data analytic platforms, optimize data processing workflows: all are enhanced for robustness, scalability, and performance
- Maintain, enhance, and perform research in support of the Big Data infrastructure
- Aid the gathering, an aggregation, and transformation of complex data to facilitate data analytics and the generation of Data Value
- Lead, design, develop, document, and test Big Data infrastructure
- Troubleshoot issues in Big Data framework
- Deliver solutions while using an Agile Development model with iterative deliverables
- Create quality deliverables to communicate technical solutions to appropriate audiences
- Understand issues, problem solving, and design/architect solutions
- Collaborate with business and technical teams to evaluate new technologies
- Learn continuously, leveraging training resources and self-directed training, sharing knowledge and skills with others
- Provide mentoring and leadership to more junior resources
Who we are looking for in this role:
- Passion for technology and willingness to learn is required
- Have ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic work environment and be able to produce efficient and robust solution
- High energy, confidence, and agility to drive a team
- Candid and direct communication
- A creative thinker who can bring in new ideas and innovations to the company
Our ambition is to hire for potential not just experience, and you're likely to succeed if you:
- Are always ready to give it your all and deliver high quality work
- Are excited to use your creativity and innovative thinking to try new things
- Take responsibility and own your work
- Are courageous and ambitious to challenge what's been done before
- Proven development experience in large scale enterprise development
- 2+ years of Big Data Engineering
- Functional real-world knowledge and experience in the implementation of Hadoop based systems in Java or Scala
- Produce high-quality, maintainable software
- Knowledgeable Cloud Technologies
- Knowledgeable of data platforms like: Oracle, DB2, MySQL, Cassandra, MongoDB, Couch Base
- Knowledgeable of Data Storage Systems Design: RDBMS Modeling, Big Data Strategies, Data Warehousing Modeling, Cloud Data Strategies
- Knowledgeable of Streaming Technologies: Message Queues, Kafka, Kinesis
- Knowledge of Data Transfer technologies: SFTP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS
- Knowledge of one or more Big Data Technologies like Elastic Search, Spark, Kafka, HDFS and Hive
- Knowledge of implement CICD Pipelines
- Knowledge in Design Patterns, OOP/OOD, Software Architecture
- Knowledge of how to assess the performance of data solutions, how to diagnose performance problems, and tools used to monitor and tune performance.
- Bachelors/Master/PHD in computer science, engineering, information technology, or related degree and/or equivalent work experience
- Good communication skills with both Technical and Business audience
- Work independently and within a team to develop code, design applications, and create test cases
- Strong programming skills in standard programming and/or algorithms
- Scala or Python programming
- Proficiency in Spark Based Technologies (e.g. Spark Dataframes, Spark Streaming and Spark SQL)
- Knowledge of Big Data querying tools (e.g. Spark, Pig, Hive, and Impala)
- Aid in the modeling and implementation of machine learning and deep learning
- Real time analytics using stream processing frameworks such like Spark, Flink, Storm
- Knowledge of designing and developing reusable components
- Web service protocols such as REST
Benefits of working at Travelport
We believe all employees contribute to the success of the company and should be able to share in that success, which is why all jobs are eligible to participate in our bonus program with any payouts being subject to individual and company performance. We offer a comprehensive benefit program that includes medical, dental, vision, disability, life, a competitive 401(k) match.
We make health and wellness a priority and offer a generous paid time off policy as well as contributing to our communities with an annual volunteer day off.
Salary Target: $120,00.00 - $145,000.00
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty, and training.
Interested? We'd love for you to get in touch!*
*Please note that if your application is progressed, you may be asked to complete a self-recorded video interview, at a time that works best for you. This is your chance to bring your skills & experience to life in your own words and style. Ensure you keep an eye on your junk folder just in case our invitation finds its way there.
We are an equal opportunities employer and will consider all qualified applicants purely on their skills and abilities. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation, if needed.