Security Best Practices
The Security Best Practices (SBP) organization within CIS develops and champions a range of cybersecurity best practice products and services including CIS Critical Security Controls, CIS Benchmarks, CIS Hardened Images, and supporting software products. The SBP Product Manager is responsible for overseeing the entire product lifecycle for the products and/or services they are assigned. With a customer-first perspective, they will develop product strategies and the associated roadmaps to achieve business and financial objectives. This role requires a deep understanding of the target market and business trends with specific focus on the needs and desires of customers. You will perform discovery work and collaborate with stakeholders, customers, users and engineers to shape the product and deliver valuable cybersecurity solutions. This role requires close coordination across the CIS organization and across Security Best Practices with Product Owners, Product Marketing Managers, business stakeholders, and executives in order to help set priorities, oversee new product development and influence product pricing, marketing, and support.
CIS Security Best Practices has several Product Management positions available covering at least CIS Benchmarks and Hardened Images, CIS-CAT, and CIS CSAT.
The Center for Internet Security (CIS) makes the connected world a safer place for people, businesses, and governments through our core competencies of collaboration and innovation. We are a community-driven nonprofit responsible for industry leading best practices for securing IT systems and data. We lead a global community of IT professionals to continuously evolve these standards and provide products and services to proactively safeguard against emerging threats.
What You'll Do
Develop strong relationships and act as the voice of the customer to build out use cases, understand requirements and prioritize business needs.
- Develop a deep understanding of customer/member needs, business goals and processes to inform product priorities and improvement recommendations.
- Deeply understand your own product(s) and how they fit into the SBP and CIS poducts and services ecosystem.
- Regularly communicate with product stakeholders and customers to shape the product strategy and surface critical needs by leading strategic portfolio planning and product lifecycle management efforts that include market, cost, and product analysis.
- Lead product strategy, planning, and life cycle management efforts and continuously monitor and evaluate product performance and proactively champion product improvements.
- Define, track, and communicate relevant KPIs for the product to measure performance and contribution to business goals and strategy.
- Conduct bi-annual 360-degree reviews to proactively monitor business, market, and technology trends to inform product strategy and proactively propose new solutions.
- Contribute to translating business needs into actionable product and technical use cases to drive product roadmaps and release plans that satisfy customer needs and achieve positive business outcomes.
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to determine internal and contract/external resources and skills required for the product team to deliver on the product roadmap.
- Guide the product engineering team to scope, plan and deliver work, applying established delivery methodologies (e.g., agile methods) and best practices (e.g., reusability).
- Work with stakeholders and product team members to proactively identify and resolve blockers to achieve business objectives for the product, including technical, budget, scope and resourcing challenges.
- Ensure alignment and adherence to corporate, financial and IT standards (e.g., architecture, compliance, security).
- Manage investment decision-making and finances for the product, taking a return-on-investment approach to increasing the value while minimizing product costs.
- Participate in proposal responses, vendor product assessments, request for information\proposals, and technical interchange discussions as needed in support of Sales & Business Services, Operations Security Services, and Security Best Practices divisions initiatives, corporate goals and objectives.
- May be required to serve as product manager for multiple, related products depending on size and complexity
- Other tasks and responsbilities as assigned
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree* (or equivalent years of experience).
- 5-8 years of product management or related experience.
- Relationship building and collaboration skills across diverse and matrixed stakeholders and customers.
- Ability to surface, prioritize, and balance multiple stakeholder priorities.
- Strong project management skills to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Experience determining and overseeing software development initiatives and estimating resource requirements.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, including experience leveraging data to inform decision making and independently solving software engineering problems.
- Expertise in strategic thinking and strong business acumen.
- Strong experience in understanding business partner and client needs.
- Demonstrated success in defining and building products.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical information in a condensed manner to various stakeholders verbally and in writing.
It's a Plus if You Have:
- Background in cybersecurity
*Additional years of relevant experience or a combination of an Associate's degree or equivalent and relevant experience may be substituted for the Bachelor's degree.
At CIS, we are committed to providing an inclusive environment in which the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and views of our employees, members, and customers are valued and respected. It is through this commitment that we are able to work together towards our common mission: to make the connected world a safer place.