Responsible for purchasing supplies, equipment, and materials for a business. Interact with suppliers, resolve quality issues, and compare and evaluate potential purchases.
- Purchase goods that an organization will either use or sell and develop a purchasing system.
- Review plans, specifications, and related documents to determine product requirements.
- Coordinate with suppliers, engineers, and others to procure needed materials and services.
- Identify suppliers using online directories, trade publications, industry events, and other means.
- Source quality goods at competitive prices that will be useful to an organization.
- Screen potential suppliers; assess their quality assurance practices, prices, capacity, and more.
- Negotiate prices, delivery times, terms, and other conditions with suppliers.
- Monitor supplier performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Take inventory of current items and perform analyses on competitors and what they’re selling.
- Conduct market research, forecast future trends, and predict the needs of consumers.