Optical Instrument Assembler
Responsible for assembling or installing optical instruments, including gunsights, telescopes, and level transits. Cleans parts, adjusts, and coats elements according to specifications.
- Assemble structural and mechanical parts of instrument.
- Read and interpret drawings and blueprints.
- Clean parts using tissue or cleaning solution.
- Use compressed air device to aid in cleaning.
- Cement multiple lens assemblies.
- Position element in mounting seat of instrument housing.
- Insert and secure locking ring in housing.
- Apply cement to rings.
- Cut, grind, and polish eyeglasses, contact lenses, or other precision optical elements.
- Determine distance of test target using trigonometric formulas.
- Utilize oscilloscopes and collimators to connect instruments to test devices.
- Sight instrument on target.
- Read dial to determine optical center of instrument lens.
- Verify specified focusing power.
- Coat optical elements according to specifications.
- Fill instrument housing with nitrogen gas to lessen corrosion.
- Operate lathe to modify parts.
- Record inspection and test data.
- Mount lenses onto frames.
- Process precision lens polishers, grinders, centerer-edgers, and lens mounters.