Responsible for examining tax-related documents, discovering, assessing, and collecting taxes, resolving tax return problems, and responding to taxpayer questions and concerns.
- Assess collection of various taxes.
- Identify non-filers and delinquent taxpayers.
- Analyze claims for accuracy for the individual to be granted a refund.
- Review tax returns, applications, and records for completeness and accuracy.
- Interpret tax forms, laws, and policies with taxpayers.
- Request supporting documentation.
- Apply federal and state tax codes.
- Conduct independent audits.
- Determine whether law allows tax credits and deductions.
- Report any adjustments or corrections they make to the States.
- Work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Enter tax returns into computer system for processing.
- Check taxpayers' math for accuracy and ensure amounts match other reporting sources.
- Verify social security numbers match names.
- Assist taxpayers with interpreting tax instructions.
- Assess fees, interest, and penalties and submit difference to taxpayer.
- Maintain records on each case.
- Keep abreast of accounting procedures and tax code.