Responsible for diagnosing and treating illnesses and injuries in animals. Perform surgeries, treat wounds, and administer vaccines on pets and livestock.
- Examine animals, including performing physical exams, taking X-rays, and ordering lab tests.Look for any signs of illness, disease, or injury in animals during visits.
- Spay and neuter dogs and cats, in addition to dressing wounds on injured animals.
- Determine the cause of an animal’s symptoms and develop a treatment plan.
- Refer animals to specialists for further testing or treatment.
- Prescribe medications, perform surgeries, and provide other forms of treatment.
- Offer palliative care in instances when the animal is suffering from a terminal illness.
- Educate owners about how to care for their animals and recognize signs of illness or injury.
- Give information to pet owners about proper nutrition, exercise, and preventive care.
- Keep accurate records of each animal, noting symptoms, diagnoses, and treatment plans.
- Identify illness and injury trends for a specific animal or among groups of animals.