Senior Materials Engineer
What Makes a Honda, is Who makes a Honda
Honda has a clear vision for the future, and it's a joyful one. We are looking for individuals with the skills, courage, persistence, and dreams that will help us reach our future-focused goals.
At our core is innovation. Honda is constantly innovating and developing solutions to drive our business with record success. We strive to be a company which serves as a source of "power" that supports people around the world who are trying to do things based on their own initiative and that helps people expand their own potential. To this end, Honda strives to realize "the joy and freedom of mobility" by developing new technologies and an innovative approach to achieve a "zero environmental footprint."
We are looking for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, continuous improvement values, and a strong work ethic to join our team.
If your goals and values align with Honda's, we want you to join our team to Bring the Future!
About this Position:
At Senior Engineer I Career Level, the engineer is capable of leading research and development of organic materials as well as supporting product quality and performance, utilizing their past experience to develop innovative solutions to technical challenges. Specific focus will be on interior and Noise-Vibration-Harshness (NVH) materials, but will potentially support other organic material developments in the exterior, chassis, and powertrain areas. Additionally, responsibility of reducing Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) within the interior cabin thru material developments is also expected.
- Prepare for each development project by utilizing internal know-how database to ensure past problems do not reoccur. Create validation plan for their development projects, which includes key testing confirmation items, quality assurance visits at the supplier, and reviewing/collecting Design Validation (DV)/Process Validation (PV). Provide guidance and mentorship for other members in technical area on creating their validation plans. Execute plan in accordance to development milestones. Ensure all specifications are issued per the DWG releases. Achieve an acceptable level of progress at each development milestone. Review documentation and judgement logic for other members in technical area ahead of key development milestones.
- Discover new material technologies via conferences, expos, supplier visits, etc. Prepare justification for attending industry events to technical management. Summarize findings and determine feasibility merit for future automotive applications after event completion
- Lead the North American material strategy for technical area. Correlate and collaborate with counterparts at the Global Office to incorporate North American regional needs into the global material strategy. Create plan for attendance of key sensing conferences, technical area training needs, and research prioritization.
- Create and execute technical plan for new material technology projects. For pre-theme investigations, focus on riskiest assumption with a fast fail mindset. Maintain and communicate schedule/budget at each reporting milestones. Manage theme schedules toward future model application target.
- For market quality items, quickly assess/analyze situation to determine root cause of issue. Create, correlate, and execute technical counter-measures for issue. Assist other members in technical area on appropriately diagnosing impact/urgency of issues, creating plan, and lead counter-measure direction setting. Complete all technical documentation and reviews in advance of evaluations. Confirm judgement logic and check document of other members in technical area.
- In collaboration with Raw Materials Purchasing Dept., work with technical leadership to identify projects which align to technical strategy and business needs, which include cost down opportunities and supply security. Prioritize projects based on time, business conditions, and resources. Establish test logic, create test plan, and schedule. Execute test plan to agree upon schedule. Provide technical direction to PICs as needed.
Who we are seeking:
- Four Year College Degree in Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Polymer Engineering
- 8-10 years experience
- Simulation experience, HPLC Experience, & GC-MS Experience required.
At Honda, you will play a key role in our journey to become a company that society wants to exist now, and in the future. Your endless curiosity will drive innovation and your courageous spirit will challenge the status quo. We believe having a workforce made up of diverse thinkers and innovators makes us a better Honda. Respect for each other and respect for diversity each and every day drives our associates to contribute at the highest level and work effectively in a team environment. We make the dream of mobility a reality with our innovative and high-quality products. Together, we Bring the Future to our customers, associates, and communities. We are Honda!
What differentiates Honda and make us an employer of choice?
- Competitive base salary
- Annual Bonus
- Manager Lease Car Program (No Cost - Car, Maintenance, Insurance)
- Industry leading Benefit Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Paid time off, including vacation, paid holidays, sick time, personal days
- 401K Plan with company match + additional contribution
- Relocation assistance (if eligible)
- Advancement opportunities
- Career mobility
- Education reimbursement for continued learning
- Training and Development programs
- Wellbeing program
- Community service and engagement programs
- Product programs
- Free drinks onsite
Honda is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor.