Senior Network Engineer (REMOTE)
United States, Maryland, Chevy Chase
|August 04, 2022|
GEICO's Network Services team has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Network Engineer to join our team! Do you have fun working in a fast paced, highly rewarding environment delivering technology solutions to solve business challenges? Do you have the track record of learning, delivering, and building cross-functional relationships with a positive can-do attitude? Then GEICO's Network Services team is the perfect fit for you!
The successful candidate will demonstrate their ability to think strategically and be innovative, while working in an agile and collaborative team-oriented environment. The candidate must be comfortable working with engineers across multiple teams. The candidate will design, build, and maintain our Network Management and Analytics platforms to proactively ensure the highest levels of system and infrastructure availability, stability, scalability, and performance. Must have intellectual curiosity and desire to dig deep into network data, learn new skills and technologies, along with an excellent work ethic. This role demands excellent project management skills, great interpersonal skills, and strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Understand and promote network standards, reference architectures, and frameworks for network management, data collection, and analytics.
* Clearly define and document network issues and opportunities by conferring with peers, leveraging tools and network management data.
* Design, build, and maintain network management platforms and functionality for monitoring, alerting, reporting, proactive remediation, and analytics.
* Ensure monitoring, data collection, existing metrics, and reporting are functioning for all network platforms, devices, and services.
* Define and maintain network management standards for disciplines including lifecycle, performance/capacity, fault, and configuration.
* Set and track service level targets and objectives for network performance and availability.
* Triage, analyze, and perform root cause analysis for network-related issues.
* Provide 24x7 after hours on-call support and support for off-hour implementations.
The successful candidate should have experience in several of the areas listed below and a willingness to learn new skills to bridge any gaps:
* Experience with network management technologies including SNMP, NetFlow, IP SLA, Syslog, SSH, including the configuration of them on various device types
* Ability to identify problems/opportunities, analyze root cause, and present recommendations with tools such as Splunk and PowerBI.
* Experience with network performance, capacity, configuration, and fault management.
* Understanding of public Cloud infrastructure such as Microsoft Azure.
* Experience with network technologies: Switches, Routers, Firewalls, Load-balancers, Proxies, WiFi, and Quality of Service.
* Understanding of scripting languages necessary for automation such as Bash, Python, or PowerShell.
* Ability to perform advanced packet/protocol analysis throughout the seven-layer OSI reference model with tools such as Wireshark.
* Knowledge of API integration and making requests.
Candidate Experience and Education:
* Experience: 3+ years related experience in a large-scale network environment.
* Education: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or similar (preferred)
* Certifications: Cisco Certified Network Professional or willingness to pursue within 12 months.
At GEICO, we make sure you have the support and resources to leverage and develop your skills, secure your financial future, and take care of your health and well-being. GEICO continually seeks to provide a workplace where everyone can be their authentic self. To help achieve this goal, we support associate-led Employee Resource Groups that foster a true sense of community. Through GEICO's competitive benefits offerings and various training and development opportunities, we have you covered with our* that includes:
*Benefits may be different bylocation.Benefiteligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins with the pay period after hire date. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
GEICO is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultivating an environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO celebrates diversity and believes it is critical to our success. As such, we are committed to recruit, develop and retain the most talented individuals to join our team.
GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.