Electrical Powertrain Controls Test Engineer
Location: (ADC)Raymond, Ohio
What Makes a Honda, is Who makes a Honda
Honda has a clear vision for the future, and it's a joyful one. We are looking for individuals with the skills, courage, persistence, and dreams that will help us reach our future-focused goals.
At our core is innovation. Honda is constantly innovating and developing solutions to drive our business with record success. We strive to be a company which serves as a source of "power" that supports people around the world who are trying to do things based on their own initiative and that helps people expand their own potential. To this end, Honda strives to realize "the joy and freedom of mobility" by developing new technologies and an innovative approach to achieve a "zero environmental footprint."
We are looking for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, continuous improvement values, and a strong work ethic to join our team.
If your goals and values align with Honda's, we want you to join our team to Bring the Future!
About this Position:
At Engineer III Career Level, the Engineer is capable of taking charge and leading electronics development of Powertrain ECU systems with minimal oversight, utilizing their past experience to overcome challenges of moderate complexity. Powertrain ECU systems may include Engine Control, Transmission Control, All-wheel Drive Control, Electric Vehicle Motor and Battery Control, or other related areas involving the development of electronic hardware, software and electrical system architecture.
- Project and team management: Breaking down project concept details into required development activities and deciding the overall ECU development plan, correlating technical project details with key stakeholders and negotiating the schedule for deliverables. Informing and confirming details with technical leadership as required.
- Engineering specification design for Powertrain ECU applications, including electrical circuit hardware and software in tools such as MATLAB Simulink or MS VISIO. Deciding the best implementation for converting design concepts into requirements and functional specifications, then conducting design reviews with technical leadership. May lead other engineers on project-specific complex implementations and best practices.
- Engineering troubleshooting, root cause analysis and solution design: Working hands-on in prototype or mass production level vehicles to identify Powertrain electronics functional issues and deciding the steps required for resolution.
- Testing and verification of ECU specifications related to hardware and software: Performing testing in prototype or mass production level vehicles related to electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) or verification of technical change points to ensure proper electrical functional performance, quality and reliability. Accountable to create test result reports and conduct verification reviews with technical leadership.
- Improvement and innovation: May lead small groups of engineers on specific investigations of new processes or technologies which improve Powertrain electronic system performance, development capability or efficiency. Includes making project proposals to management, setting direction for the best implementation and accountability to report progress on technical activity, budget and schedule.
- Cyber security requirement analysis and implementation verification: Work together with cyber security specialists to understand the security requirements needed for Powertrain ECU applications, create and verify related specifications and work with ECU suppliers on implementations.
Who we are seeking:
Required Work Experience:
- 2-5 years experience in related field to automotive ECU development
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field. 6 years of related experience may be substituted for required degree.
- Coordination of other person's job priorities. Able to use industry standard engineering tools such as MATLAB as well as ECU data monitoring tools such as Vector CANalyzer or ETAS INCA. Knowledge of automotive related ECU hardware and electronic circuits.
- Ability to lead groups of people to achieve the department goal and occasionally to division goal
- Ability to come up with solutions to department level issues on own
- Ability to develop component of main specialty with limited to no supervision, can create a development plan and carry out at a level which meets or exceeds TE's expectation.
- Ability to apply overall knowledge of automobile powertrain functionality to electronic system requirements.
Additional Position Factors:
- Remove/Install electrical components in a test vehicle, sometimes involving difficult physical access.
- Driving vehicles for testing purposes, sometimes in extreme cold or hot climates (-30degC to 50degC)
- Periodical domestic and international travel to test facilities, factories, suppliers. (<20%)
- Overtime is expected in moderate amount, to meet deadlines. (~5hr/wk average)
- Remote work up to 60% based on business conditions, on-site vehicle testing is a required element.
At Honda, you will play a key role in our journey to become a company that society wants to exist now, and in the future. Your endless curiosity will drive innovation and your courageous spirit will challenge the status quo. We believe having a workforce made up of diverse thinkers and innovators makes us a better Honda. Respect for each other and respect for diversity each and every day drives our associates to contribute at the highest level and work effectively in a team environment. We make the dream of mobility a reality with our innovative and high-quality products. Together, we Bring the Future to our customers, associates, and communities. We are Honda!
What differentiates Honda and make us an employer of choice?
- Competitive base salary
- Overtime compensation
- Annual Bonus
- Associate lease car program with a cost
- Industry leading Benefit Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Paid time off, including vacation, paid holidays, sick time, personal days
- 401K Plan with company match + additional contribution
- Relocation assistance (if eligible)
- Advancement opportunities
- Career mobility
- Education reimbursement for continued learning
- Training and Development programs
- Wellbeing program
- Community service and engagement programs
- Product programs
- Free drinks onsite
Honda is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor.