Working in partnership with the Director of Finance, the Accounting Manager is responsible for professional accounting duties as they relate to reviewing, processing, and maintaining financial records and reports in multiple subsidiaries and management of various accounting functions, including, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and international accounting functions. Oversees the data and systems necessary for providing timely and accurate information for financial reporting enabling management to make informed decisions, attributing to the continued success of the company.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages employees who conduct professional accounting work in accordance with a prescribed accounting system and generally accepted principles of accounting.
- Ensures global accounting standards are followed and teams are up to date on latest information per country requirements.
- Maintains efficient and effective record-keeping systems and audit trails.
- Responsible for monthly accrual postings.
- Performs balance sheet reconciliations, monthly, for multiple subsidiaries.
- Cash reporting, daily, weekly, monthly for mutliple subsidiaries.
- Responsible for month, quarter, and year end close process.
- Designing and implementing internal controls and documentation.
- Knowledge of credit card processing and related ERP postings.
- Analyzes the financial results of international subsidiaries for accuracy.
- Monitors intercompany balances and transactions to ensure proper allocation, reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies.
- Supports development of accounting policies over international operations.
- Works effectively with cross-functional departments and international subsidiaries
- Analyzes financial accounting data, conduct research as requested and make appropriate recommendations.
- Provides technical expertise, assistance and direction regarding accounting issues and discrepancies.
- Leads the foreign branch tax and audit activities.
- Directs, coordinates, and evaluates job assignments, schedule planning and personnel coverage to meet timelines.
- Conducts one-on-one meetings with staff providing support and coaching
- Hires, trains, promotes and terminates staff / temporary staff as needed within company guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Prioritizes and assists staff with problem solving.
- Performs deep dive and ad-hoc analyses into various accounts to improve understanding of risks and opportunities related to the business.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Effective working knowledge of US GAAP with expertise in revenue recognition, professional services industry, accounting policies and procedures, and internal controls.
- Comfortable using finance software systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications - advanced skill level with Excel
- Ability to wear many hats and juggle responsibilities
- Ability to thrive in a team based collaborative environment
- Strong Communicator
- Detail oriented
- Business Acumen
- Global mindset
- Four-year degree in accounting or Finance
- 4-6 years accounting experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience with international accounting preferably in Canada or the United Kingdom
- Experience with the Microsoft Office environment
- NetSuite experience preferred
- Experience in supervising a staff of two or more individuals