Job posting has expiredBack to search results
Government Relations Specialist
| Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc.|
United States, Wisconsin, Madison
|August 25, 2023|
PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF WISCONSIN, INC.
GOVERNMENT RELATIONS SPECIALIST
At Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc. (PPWI), we work to provide quality, affordable health care services, comprehensive education, and strong advocacy. We serve over 60,000 patients annually in 22 health centers statewide, making us the largest and most trusted reproductive health care provider in Wisconsin. Our goal is to help keep Wisconsin safe, healthy and strong!
This is an excellent opportunity for a Government Relations Specialist (40 hrs/week).
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Government Relations Specialist is responsible for assisting in the development of and executing strategic relationship building and public policy strategies at the federal, state and local level. The GR Specialist is also responsible for assisting with developing and implementing an infrastructure (e.g. technologies, processes and systems) that support ongoing tracking of policy research and data and managing that infrastructure. This position will perform policy research to support the development and implementation of PPWI's government affairs work and policy agenda, with a particular emphasis on policies that promote reproductive justice and health equity.
* Must possess a strong commitment to comprehensive, voluntary, family planning programs and a person's freedom to make personal health care decisions, including abortion.
* Must be committed to excellent customer service and the vision and values of PPWI.
* Supports the mission of PPWI andiscommitted to a culture of diversity,equity, inclusion and belonging.
* Ability to relate to diverse and/or deep understanding of issues facing diverse communities.
* Must have the ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, about public policy issues to a wide range of internal organizational stakeholders, elected officials, administrative officials, and leaders of other organizations.
* Must have the ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships with multiple constituencies.
* Must be able to understand and communicate about the legislative and regulatory process.
* Must be able to handle information confidentially and use professional discretion.
* Must have the ability to organize constituencies into action and have strong interpersonal skills.
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively, be detail oriented, and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
* A bachelor's degree in public policy, public affairs, government relations, development or project management required.
* Must have at least two (2) years of experience in public policy analysis, development, or policy advocacy.
* An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired may be considered.
* Must have some prior experience with coalition building or stakeholder engagement.
* A basic understanding of the reproductive health care delivery system in Wisconsin, basic knowledge of the existing state and federal reproductive health care policy landscapes, and experience advocating for the needs of underserved or marginalized communities or working with diverse constituencies is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position is predominantly sedentary requiring the ability to sit, bend, stand and walk. May require occasional stooping, reaching, stair-climbing. Requires repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing on a keyboard. Rarely requires kneeling, pushing/pulling and repetitive motions of the feet.
Physical demands of the position necessitate hearing, talking, handling and grasping regularly. May require lifting up to 30 pounds. Specific vision conditions include close vision reading. Requires the ability to operate a computer, telephone, fax, copy machine and adding machine or calculator.
The position is generally performed in an office environment but involves frequent interruptions. The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations, however, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform said essential functions.
Occasional evening and/or weekend hours may be necessary.
This position requires travel statewide, therefore consistent access to transportation is required. If you drive your personal car for work a valid driver's license and auto insurance in accordance with agency liability standards is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
PPWI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.