Finishing Aesthetics Manufacturing Engineer
| Honda North America|
United States, North Carolina, Greensboro
|September 19, 2023|
Honda Aircraft Company
The Manufacturing Engineer, Supplier Support - Finishing and Aesthetics is responsible for interfacing with suppliers and internal stakeholders to accelerate industrialization and stabilize production through structured technical collaboration with suppliers and internal stakeholders, development of robust manufacturing processes and tools, and clear documentation of Manufacturing Process Plans (MPP). Assignments will focus on the manufacture of aesthetically critical parts and assemblies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Collaborate with suppliers to establish robust processes and tools for the manufacture of aesthetically critical parts and assemblies (interiors, exterior, panels, monuments, controls, etc).
2. Ensure engineering drawing requirements clearly document and convey Honda's aesthetics expectations and that supporting suppliers fully understand the requirements.
3. Facilitate supplier reviews of Honda designs and process specifications and integrate supplier feedback into design requirements to ensure manufacturability.
4. Review, provide feedback on, and clearly document supplier Manufacturing Process Plans (MPP) and inspection plans.
5. Audit supplier MPP on a set cadence based upon part/process criticality and production risk.
6. Approve tooling designs required for assigned products, create Tooling Request Forms (TRF) to initiate tool creation workflow, utilize project management tools and skills to manage tooling build, inspection, and introduction into production use.
7. Review Engineering requirements and/or supplier process changes with Quality and assembly technicians to assess risks associated with change implementation.
8. Partner with Quality to reduce supplier QN's by leading improvement projects with suppliers.
9. Participate in discrepant part root cause investigation and lead corrective action implementation.
10. Initiate and champion engineering Change Requests (CR) to drive engineering changes, as required to resolve manufacturability driven supplier discrepancies or inefficiencies.
11. Develop collaborative relationships with suppliers and work closely with all areas of the organization and suppliers to implement production improvements, engineering changes, new product introductions, and product transfers.
12. Communicate and coach the application of good manufacturing practices with suppliers.
13. Identify and mitigate all constraints that bottleneck production and challenge on-time deliveries.
14. Provide source recommendations for sub-tier suppliers.
15. Support Supply Chain with new program sourcing by understanding part manufacturing requirements, identifying suppliers with required manufacturing capabilities, and providing feedback into the source selection process.
16. Domestic and international travel, as required, potentially exceeding 50%.
Education, Work Experience, Certification and/or Licensure:
1. B.S.M.E., B.S.A.E., B.S.I.E., or B.S. Mfg. Eng./ Eng. Tech. preferred. 10 years of aerospace manufacturing or engineering experience with fabrication, assembly, and installation of assemblies, in lieu of degree considered.
2. Experience in hands-on part surface finishing including fill and fair, paint preparation, paint booth setup, prime/paint/topcoat application, hydrodipping, and application of decorative wraps and veneers.
3. Experience defining decorative finish robustness requirements and validation testing processes and procedures.
4. Experience developing and documenting aesthetic inspection requirements, processes, procedures, and accept/reject criteria.
5. Experience defining and directing the conceptual design of finish application processes and process controls and maturation through sample build/approval, industrialization, and full lifecycle management.
6. Ability to optimize finishing processes through efficient design of manufacturing workflows, process/equipment selection, fixture design, and tooling selection.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of aesthetic part manufacturing and part/process qualification.
2. Knowledge of chemical and physical processing of aesthetic parts including priming, painting, fill and fair, hydrodipping, etc.
3. 2D drawing and 3D model review and approval of Engineering designs and specifications to ensure manufacturability of detail parts, assemblies, and installations.
4. Manufacturing/ Process Planning creating MBOM's and BOP's are a plus.
5. CATIA V5/V6 experience is a plus.
6. Ability to work in Enterprise Resource Planning software (SAP experience is a plus).
7. Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Project).
8. Proven ability to trouble-shoot defects, manufacturing errors, and time consumption/ learning curve issues to improve supplier manufacturing performance.
9. Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work in a diverse environment required.
10. Ability to analyze a variety of engineering data to help determine how to meet company objectives.
11. Proven experience with Program/Project management in a fast paced work environment having reported out progress to peers, direct supervision, and upper management with experience in plant floor scheduling, creating project files, Gantt charts, process flow charts, track job progress, and assign resources.
12. Ability to manage multiple complex cross-functional cross-company projects simultaneously.
13. Excellent communication and presentation skills.
14. Excellent rigor and self-discipline.
1. Incumbents may be routinely exposed to equipment operational noise heat-cold-dust, and/or aircraft equipment, parts, or fuel odors.
2. Incumbents may be required to stand, sit, squat, walk, bend, climb ladders, move, reach, or stretch for prolonged time periods with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
3. Work in a safe and professional manner while adhering to all regulatory requirements (FAA, OSHA, DOT, EPA, State, and Federal regulations, etc.).
4. Read, hear, speak, and see with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
5. Comprehend and adhere to management directions and/or safety instructions with no restrictions.
6. Effectively communicate in Business English language.
7. Pull, push, carry, lift, or move items up to 10 lbs. throughout the work shift without assistance, as required by job duties.
8. Pull, push, carry, lift or move materials/people/items/equipment weighing up to 50lbs or more during the work shift, with the use of Company provided "reach assistance technology" or "movement assist technology" (fork-lifts, pallet jacks, pulleys, dolly's, robotics reach equipment, people movers etc.), as required by job duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities required of personnel so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This document does not constitute a contract between the incumbent and Honda Aircraft Company. (FLSA: ) 01/07/13