R&D Machining Technician
| Honda North America|
United States, North Carolina, Greensboro
|September 19, 2023|
Honda Aircraft Company
The R&D Machining Technician performs machine shop duties to produce a wide variety of precision parts by designing the manufacturing process flow, creating NC programs, designing and producing supporting fixtures, selecting optimal cutting tools, setting up equipment, tooling, and fixtures and operating mills, lathes, and other supporting equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Layout process flows required to produce precision machined parts.
2. Create NC programs for the operation of multi-axis turning centers, 3 & 5 axis CNC machining centers, waterjet tables, and other supporting equipment.
3. Select and request the required cutting tools for optimal machining of precision machine parts.
4. Create complex programs to support operation of multi axis lathes and machining centers to support complex aircraft machined detail parts.
5. Design and fabricate workholding fixtures to secure materials during machining operations.
6. Use band saws, waterjet and other related equipment to prepare raw materials.
7. Setup equipment, tooling, and fixtures and operate mills, lathes, and other supporting equipment in the fabrication of precision machined parts.
8. Inspect parts produced using precision metrology equipment and prepare reports for Quality review and acceptance.
9. Selects proper tooling, edits programs and adjusts speeds and feeds as required to optimize production.
10. Works with production, engineering, and quality to resolve issues.
11. Maintains equipment and perform required PM's to insure proper operation.
12. Work in a productive and efficient manner and provide ideas for continuous improvement.
13. Continuously improve job knowledge by participating in educational classes; reading technical publications, and cross-training.
Education, Experience, Certification and/or Licensure:
1. High School diploma or GED equivalent required
2. Formal Journeyman, Apprentice, training, or schooling preferred.
3. 5+ years experience in equivalent position. Aerospace experience preferred.
4. Machining experience including manual and CNC Multi Axis lathes, 3-5 axis mills (Hurco).
5. Experience with FDM 3D printers, associates software and materials.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Proficient in fixture/tool design (holding fixtures, form blocks, joggle dies, drill templates) to support low quantity or prototype detail parts.
2. Ability to work in fast paced R&D environment.
3. Ability to read and interpret drawings, blueprints, and technical instructions.
4. Ability to maintain a safe and organized work environment by following procedures and wearing appropriate PPE.
5. Ability to work independently with minimal training or supervision.
6. CADCAM experience (Gibbscam preferred).
7. Experience with model based machining, CATIA environment, 3D printers, Insight software, GrabCAD Print software and OMAX waterjet machine/software a plus.
8. Experience with FAA certification processes and requirements preferred.
9. Familiarity with AS9100 management systems and compliance requirements.
1. Incumbents may be routinely exposed to equipment operational noise heat-cold-dust, and/or aircraft equipment, parts, or fuel odors.
2. Incumbents may be required to stand, sit, squat, walk, bend, climb ladders, move, reach, or stretch for prolonged time periods with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
3. Work in a safe and professional manner while adhering to all regulatory requirements (FAA, OSHA, DOT, EPA, State, and Federal regulations, etc.).
4. Read, hear, speak, and see with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
5. Comprehend and adhere to management directions and/or safety instructions with no restrictions.
6. Effectively communicate in Business English language.
7. Pull, push, carry, lift, or move items up to 10 lbs. throughout the work shift without assistance, as required by job duties.
8. Pull, push, carry, lift or move materials/people/items/equipment weighing up to 50lbs or more during the work shift, with the use of Company provided "reach assistance technology" or "movement assist technology" (fork-lifts, pallet jacks, pulleys, dolly's, robotics reach equipment, people movers etc.), as required by job duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities required of personnel so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This document does not constitute a contract between the incumbent and Honda Aircraft Company. (FLSA: Nonexempt) 01/07/13