Process Controls Engineer
Pasadena, Texas - PolymersUnited States (US)
INEOS Styrolution America LLC
We Have Great Chemistry
We believe diversity is perceiving difference; inclusion is valuing it. Without inclusion, we cannot unlock the value that diversity has to offer. Everyone has a seat at our company table. Our employees bring their unique selves to work daily, have a sense of belonging, and contribute to our core values. We have an inclusive approach, which is open and transparent. We respect and value diversity and believe in equality of opportunity. We do this by valuing and respecting cultural differences and welcoming diversity of thought and perspectives from all our employees.
- The Process Controls Engineer designs, develops and evaluates manufacturing processes and systems, in whole or in part, to meet stated objectives.
- The jobholder uses sophisticated computer technology and their own analytical skills to make integrated processes more effective and efficient.
- This position may evaluate manufacturing processes and adjust it in a variety of ways, including changing the order of sub-processes, moving the equipment around, calibrating equipment differently and adding or modifying the software and equipment that control the entire process.
- This position is responsible for manufacturing's Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC's), as well as Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) and is often called upon to coordinate the efforts of Technical Services Engineers during the course of a project.
What you will do:
- This position - and all positions - within the INEOS Styrolution organization requires that the incumbent commit to learning, following and practicing INEOS 20 Principles of Process and Behavioral Safety as applicable to the position.
- These are posted within each INEOS Styrolution facility. Each employee must also commit to following INEOS' Life-Saving rules on a daily basis. These rules are posted also within each INEOS Styrolution facility.
Process Unit Engineering Support:
- Support unit engineering and production needs to ensure the unit runs safely, efficiently, and reliably at all times. Use standard process-control principles to develop, test and modify industrial equipment, manufacturing processes and the devices that control them.
- Monitor process parameters and alarms to ensure compliance with normal, safe and not-to-exceed limits and investigate deviations.
- Provide process expertise to ensure safe and cost-effective operations, monitor transition times and rates, correct deviations, and troubleshoot product quality excursions.
- Participate on improvement projects and other teams to help provide operation improvements.
- Develop and update key/critical process control procedures, and other critical process procedures.
- Submit capex approval request for capital projects.
- Schedule/assist contractors for minor improvement/safety/reliability projects.
Daily Operations Support
- Interface with operations, laboratory, and commercial teams, as wells as Reliability, Operational Engineering, and Maintenance to help maintain, support, troubleshoot, and maximize the unit performance.
- Provide start up, shutdown, and off-hours support to maintain DCS driven production quality and efficiency.
- Develop and conduct control system skills/job training and testing (both qualification and refresher) for operations personnel.
Safety and Quality
- Play a leading role in driving and maintaining the safety, Management of Change (MOC), and quality systems of the unit.
- Implement plant standards for control systems development and documentation.
- Implement chosen PCS system operating envelopes and Safety Critical Alarms/Systems, this includes programing appropriate parameters, consequence of deviations, corrective actions; safe operating envelop limits; and assist in investigating any exceedances.
- Control systems maintenance of the integrity of the monitoring systems for Safety Critical Alarms/Systems and Operating Envelops
- Participate in plant-wide audits and studies for ISO/QS and SHEQ to ensure compliance with key elements.
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with interlocks and SIS testing frequencies and protocols.
- Responsible for complying with applicable IGGN's regarding process safety and control systems.
What you will bring:
- Level of Education & Knowledge (Relevant experience, in some cases, may substitute for a portion or all the required education):
- Bachelor degree in an Engineering field (Chemical or Electrical Engineering degree preferred) and a minimum of 10 years related experience or an advanced engineering degree and a minimum of 6 years of related experience.
- Proficiency with DCS systems programming and configuration. Knowledge of Emerson DCS systems (DeltaV control systems) preferred.
- Knowledge of Rockwell Automation (Allen Bradley) PLC's.
- Knowledgeable of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS): safety, quality and environmental systems and requirements.
- Knowledge of field instrumentation preferred.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft products. Strong application of Excel.
- Knowledge of the INEOS product line and customers is a plus.
- Strong technical, written, and oral communication skills.
- Results oriented and driven.
- Makes timely, effective decisions consistent with business plans and department goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage progress and deliver multiple and competing priorities.
- Works and interacts effectively as a team member.
- Organizes work effectively and uses available resources.
- Requires organizational skills and a systematic approach to problem definition and solution development.
Physical demands: Ability to work at heights, work in confined spaces, lift up to 25 Lbs. occasionally, and work in the environment (outdoors; seasonal exposure to heat and cold).
[Not translated in selected language]
What We Offer You
- A safe and drug-free work environment
- Career development, job progression, and tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environment, paid vacation, and sick time
- A comprehensive health benefits package with low premiums to support employee wellbeing
- Retirement savings with company match plus contributions
- Above-market compensation including performance-related pay and bonuses
- Fitness reimbursement to encourage employees to stay healthy and active
- No. 1 global leader in styrenics: Styrene Monomer, Polystyrene, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene Standard, and Styrenic Specialties
- 3,600 employees worldwide
- 20 manufacturing sites in 10 countries
- Customers in 106 countries
- 6 billion EUR in 2021
We are excited to hear from you and share more about our organization.
All the best,
The INEOS Styrolution Talent Team