Responsible for administering anesthesia to provide patients with relief from pain. Monitor patients before, during, and after surgery, develop anesthesia plans, and answer questions about the procedure.
- Administer anesthesia to numb or sedate patients who are about to undergo surgery.
- Assess a patient's medical history and current condition to determine the best type of anesthesia to give them.
- Watch over patients during surgery to ensure they remain safe and comfortable.
- Respond to any changes in a patient's condition during or after surgery quickly.
- Work with the recovery team so the patient wakes up safely and experiences minimal pain.
- Consult with physicians and other healthcare professionals about the patient’s care.
- Monitor the patient after surgery to determine when they have recovered from the anesthesia.
- Educate patients and their families about the risks and benefits of anesthesia.