Diagnostic Medical Nutritionist
Responsible for applying the principles of nutrition and food management in a healthcare setting. Plans purchase of food, prepares food, and ensure all meals being served are affordable and nutritious.
- Plan meals for patients.
- Prepare food that is nutritious.
- Direct the purchase of food and ensure it is affordable.
- Plan meals for those with special dietary needs.
- Create monthly menus.
- Assess patients' nutritional needs.
- Analyze daily nutritional intake.
- Confer with doctors on a nutrition plan.
- Teach people how to purchase and prepare healthy meals at home.
- Study the use of food in the body.
- Teacher others about scientific discoveries in nutrition.
- Apply research to meal planning and menus.
- Supervise food service to patients.
- Calculate and devise therapeutic diets.
- Deliver instructions to patients being discharged regarding procedures they should follow in maintaining diet therapy.
- Visit patients and answer questions about diet.
- Record allergies and food preferences.
- Recommend if diet needs to be modified.
- Check to ensure appearance of food on tray is adequate.