Heavy Truck Driver
Responsible for transporting goods from one place to another using heavy or tractor-trailer trucks. Operates trucks with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds per gross vehicle weight.
- Deliver goods via a heavy truck, sometimes over intercity routes or spanning several states.
- Load and unload cargo.
- Record amount and type of cargo being delivered.
- Take orders for new delivers.
- Drive long distances.
- Fill up on fuel, clean truck, and wash windows.
- Report to a dispatcher any incidents encountered on the road.
- Monitor road conditions and watch for traffic congestion.
- Follow all applicable traffic laws.
- Inspect their trailer before and after the trip, and record any defects they find.
- Follow accident procedures if an accident occurs.
- Keep a log of their activities.
- Report serious mechanical problems to the appropriate personnel.
- Keep their truck, and associated equipment, clean and in good working order.
- Plan routes using maps or satellite tracking.
- Get goods to client on time.
- Take rest periods during trip.
- Transport hazardous materials.
- Take special precautions while driving.
- Buy or lease trucks from other companies.
- Find and keep clients.