Responsible for greeting guests as they first enter a restaurant. Manage reservations, seat diners at their tables, and provide accurate wait times.
- Welcome visitors as they arrive, escort them to their designated table, and give them menus.
- Keep reservations organized using either an online system or reservations book.
- Manage a waitlist if the restaurant doesn’t accept reservations.
- Answer the phone; record guest information for reservation and waitlist purposes.
- Estimate accurate wait times and communicate them to guests.
- Follow up with diners to notify them when it’s their turn to be seated.
- Decide where to seat guests and keep a well-organized seating chart.
- Distribute responsibility among staffers by seating folks throughout the restaurant.
- Manage to-go orders and perform light cleaning duties like wiping down menus.