Responsible for operating machine tools to produce precision metal parts. Produces small batches or large quantities of metal parts. Ensure products meet precise specifications.
- Operate machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to produce metal parts.
- Review electronic or written blueprints or specifications for a job.
- Calculate where to cut or bore.
- Shape steel, aluminum, titanium, plastic, silicon and other materials.
- Determine how fast or slow workpiece is fed into machine.
- Determine how much material to remove.
- Select tools and materials for the job.
- Plan the sequence of cutting and finishing operations.
- Mark the workpiece to show where cuts should be made.
- Position workpiece on the drill press, lathe, or milling machine.
- Monitor and control feed rate and speed.
- Ensure workpiece is properly lubricated and/or cooled.
- Regulate temperature of workpiece.
- Detect problems by listening for specific sounds.
- Adjust cutting speed to compensate for harmonic vibrations.
- Monitor the accuracy of cuts.
- Replace dull cutting tools.
- Check accuracy of work against blueprints and specifications.
- Produce large quantities of parts.
- Determine how automated equipment will cut a part.
- Determine cutting path.
- Concert path, speed, and feed information into set of instructions for machine tool.
- Use manual and computer-controlled machinery.
- Write basic programs.
- Modify programs in response to problems.