Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician
Responsible for performing tests to detect, diagnosis, and treat diseases. Examines and analyzes body fluids and cells for abnormal results. Evaluates how a patient is responding to treatment.
- Perform tests on patients to diagnose diseases.
- Take specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Prepare specimens for examination.
- Analyze chemical content of fluids.
- Check for bacteria and parasites.
- Look for abnormal cells in blood and body fluids.
- Use microscopes to view cells.
- Analyze and interpret results.
- Report results to physicians.
- Use automated equipment and computerized instruments.
- Make cultures of body fluid and tissue samples.
- Analyze samples to detect chemical reactions.
- Determine concentrations of compounds in blood.
- Check cholesterol levels and blood glucose levels.
- Type and cross match blood samples for transfusions.
- Develop and modify testing procedures.
- Monitor programs.
- Check test results repeatedly for accuracy.
- Analyze hormonal content of body fluids.
- Identify microorganisms in blood.
- Examine elements of immune system.
- Prepare slides of body cells.
- Perform complex protein and nucleic acid testing on cell samples.