Responsible for assigning the correct medical codes to healthcare insurance claims so they get processed. Transcribe medical records, comply with coding guidelines, and keep patient information confidential.
- Review patient records, including diagnoses and medications, to ensure they are accurate.
- Assign codes to medical procedures and diagnoses for billing and reimbursement purposes.
- Maintain familiarity with government and insurance regulations and various coding systems.
- Take measures to protect patient information from being accessed by unauthorized individuals.
- Stay abreast of coding changes to correctly code diagnoses, procedures, and medications.
- Analyze, organize, and process medical records and note any missing information.