Responsible for buying goods, equipment, farm products, and services for companies. Negotiates the best deal for the company and ensures safe transportation of the product.
- Study sales record and prior company transactions.
- Complete sales purchases, including equipment, machines, goods, and services for companies.
- Find the highest quality goods possible by reading reviews and performing extensive research.
- Study current inventory levels and determine what is needed.
- Check machines to see if they need to be repaired or replaced and purchase equipment accordingly.
- Identify foreign and domestic suppliers and vendors.
- Ask vendors for promotional prices and incentives.
- Keep abreast of changes affecting both the supply of, and demand for, needed products and materials.
- Consider price, quality, availability, reliability, and technical support when choosing suppliers and merchandise.
- Have a working technical knowledge of the goods or services to be purchased.
- Place orders and ensure product is shipped according to deadlines.
- Purchase goods such as grain, Christmas trees, and tobacco for further processing or resale.
- Supervise groups of purchasing agents.
- Accept bids and offers through Internet.
- Negotiate and supervise supply contracts.
- Purchase goods directly from manufacturers or from other wholesale firms for resale to retail firms, commercial establishments, and other organizations.
- Determine which products will sell.