NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is a 591-bed university-affiliated medical center, which offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are a major regional healthcare resource with a deep commitment to medical education and research, offering a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Ambulatory Care Nurse - Bethpage Multispecialty Practice, Full-time Days.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for using his /her clinical expertise to plan the delivery of safe, therapeutic, population-specific patient care through assessment planning, implementation and evaluation. With the patient and family central to the care, the RN incorporates the unique characteristics and needs of each patient and family member into the care delivery process. Works collaboratively within a multidisciplinary Health team to promote wellness and optimize patient outcomes. Participates in unit/department/institutional performance improvement activities that impact patient/family and service outcomes based on professional practice standards.
- Educates patients about procedures to gain cooperation, understanding and allay apprehension. Initiates a patient education plan according to the individualized needs of the patient, as prescribed by physician and/or insurance policy including patient and family instruction. Ensures that calls by patients are returned by the end of the day. Provides patient with explanation of his/her condition as indicated. Communicates assessment data in an orderly fashion by recording, updating and verbalizing pertinent information to health team members and to appropriate agencies. Recognizes and utilizes health teaching opportunities and resources materials available.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides leadership within the clinical setting. Participates in area based performance improvement.
- Serves as a role model for other members of the team. Assists in orientation of new staff. Acts rapidly and effectively during emergency situations.
- Demonstrates understanding of the needs of patients and visitors for each specific age group. Addresses safety and psychological needs of the special age groups, as appropriate, in the performance of work activities. Addresses the needs of special groups, hearing impaired physically challenged and various issue relating to the facility.
- Ensures all sterilized materials meet standards; i.e. no tears, holes, etc. Demonstrates correct hand washing techniques. Identifies monitors and adheres to sterile boundaries. Assures equipment is cleaned and disinfected according to infection control policy and manufacturer guidelines. Performs and promotes compliance with center policies and procedures regarding electrical safety hazard identification, waste disposal and standard precautions. Serves as a resource for problem solving to all members of the health care team.
- Determines medication to be administered, its action, indications, therapeutic effects, adverse reaction, etc. Administers medications timely and accurately per protocol (i.e. Coumadin program); performs medication reconciliation. Demonstrates knowledge in the administration of medication based on patient's age. Reviews expiration dates of all stock medications and disposes of out-of-date supplies. Performs inventory of all medical supplies, medications and vaccines. Follows ordering procedures by filling out and submitting order sheet to the manager as required. Ensures appropriate equipment is operational.
- Conducts clinical assessment prior to any treatment or procedure as applicable (i.e. Nuclear tests, Endoscopy, Recovery Room, etc.). Takes vital signs to detect deviations from normal and reports condition of patient to the physician. Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment and examination of patient. Performs ancillary treatments, lab work for study visits and for patients requiring only lab tests as applicable. Reports communicable diseases to appropriate agencies and logs on office files. Observes patient, records significant conditions and reaction and notifies physician of patient's condition, reactions and notifies physician of patient's condition, reaction to drugs, treatment and significant incidents. Provides discharge education and reviews instructions with patient/family (diet, medication, etc.) as needed. Communicates patient status to appropriate staff.
- Ensures that clinical policies, procedures and standards of care are being followed. Provides general staff direction during specific situations (i.e. emergencies). Assists in completing assessment performance appraisals according to institutional schedules and policies. Actively participates in maintaining a clean, safe environment. Knowledge of CDC, DOH & OSHA standards as they apply to the healthcare environment. Ensures appropriate ER equipment is operational. Maintains quality assurance assignments. Recognizes legal responsibilities and works within guidelines specified by law.
Additional Position Specific Responsibilities:
Support Pain Management procedures at ACBP and GI
To qualify you must have a Diploma OR Associate's Degree Nursing. Registered Nurse License-NYS. Current and valid BLS certification. Current and valid ACLS and/or PALS and/or NRP, as required by population, within one (1) year of Hire. Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, customer service, and interpersonal skills. Basic computer skills..
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS
Bachelor's Degree Nursing. 1 - 2 years of experience in Nursing.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.