NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is a 591-bed university-affiliated medical center, which offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are a major regional healthcare resource with a deep commitment to medical education and research, offering a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Office Assistant.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for providing basic front-desk support for clinical intake operations. May be responsible for pre-authorizations and certifications with the exception of surgical procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Provides reception assistance (i.e. greet patients, answer calls, requests for assistance are directed to proper individual, etc.). Screens telephone callers in pleasant and a professional manner; handles call; take messages or directs caller to appropriate person or area. Schedules routine appointments, follow-ups for visits and procedures that do not require or have already been pre-authorized. Refers all inquiries regarding pre-authorizations/certifications to the appropriate person. Responsible for collecting and completing any patient related documents. Assist patient in enrolling in Patient Secure if necessary. Responsible for daily confirmation of patient appointments, with appropriate notations in system. Maintains schedule to ensure no gaps in scheduling system.
- Responsible for patient check-in and check-out. Gathers all patient demographic related data and materials from patients andor their representatives. Obtains insurance information (ID card, member group #s, etc.), verifies insurance eligibility electronically, takes their picture and asks them to use Patient Secure. On subsequent visits, asks them to verify demographic info and makes any necessary edits. Collect and ask patients to sign patient related documents including HIPAA, MSPQ, ABN, etc. Follow up with patients and/or their representatives, physician offices, etc. to gather missing data and materials in order to complete the intake process, or refers to more senior level staff.
- Responsible for collecting co-pays and any other balances owed to institution. Scan all necessary documents (insurance cards, lab requisitions, etc.) into the intake system. Monitors intake work queue for timely intake completion.
- May be responsible for pre-authorizations and certifications with the exception of surgical procedures. Ensures that appropriate procedure and diagnosis coding is utilized in the pre-certification and verification process and questions physicians, if appropriate, to ensure accuracy and completeness of information.
- Assists patients who have a question regarding insurance coverage. Refers patients who are in need of counsel on financial matters based on established criteria (e.g., denial of electronic insurance eligibility, ABN questions/concerns, questions regarding insurance or pay-or restrictions, making payment, multi plan determinations, any and all issues/questions/concerns relating to financial matters) to the appropriate business office contact.
- Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office and clinical staff. Types routine material such as forms and letters, envelopes, etc. Types materials neatly, accurately and according to instructions.
- Answers patient questions to ensure understanding and patient satisfaction, or refers them to more senior level staff. Maintains confidentiality on matters to which they are privileged.
- Maintains and receives files for area. Maintains files in organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval. Completes filing in accordance with departmental procedures. Sorts and distributes documents and forms for area section. Distributes materials according to content of communications and departmental procedures. Logs in materials with respect to time and data when applicable. Processes incoming and outgoing documents. Completes forms neatly. Secures appropriate signatures and forwards documents/forms to correct destination based on pertinent Medical Center procedures. Maintains copy for files. Faxes documents in accordance with departmental procedures. Maintains supplies and cleanliness of space, restocks supplies as needed. Notifies supervisor of any shortage of supplies.
- May assist, provide guidance and/or train staff with completing intake related duties.
To qualify you must have a High School or equivalent.
Excellent organizational, interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills, strong customer service skills, and ability to complete multiple tasks efficiently and thrive in a team work environment.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office, database and internet applications.
Light, accurate keyboarding skills.
6 months Physician practice office experience. Knowledge of medical terminology
Knowledge of EPIC Ambulatory.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.