Job posting has expiredBack to search results
Public Affairs Black Constituency Organizer
| Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc.|
United States, Wisconsin, Milwaukee
302 N Jackson St (Show on map)
|March 03, 2023|
PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF WISCONSIN, INC.
PUBLIC AFFAIRS BLACK CONSTITUENCY ORGANIZER
At Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc. (PPWI), we work to provide quality, affordable health care services, comprehensive education, and strong advocacy. We serve over 60,000 patients annually in 22 health centers statewide, making us the largest and most trusted reproductive health care provider in Wisconsin. Our goal is to help keep Wisconsin safe, healthy and strong!
This is an excellent opportunity for a Public Affairs Black Constituency Organizer (40 hrs/week).
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Organizers are the face and voice for PPWI in the community. An organizer's charge is to create a climate where reproductive and sexual health is promoted and protected at all levels-including in the community and, local, state and federal governments. An organizer will elevate Planned Parenthood's mission through visibility and advocacy. This position cultivates new supporter relationships and facilitates hand-offs of potential donors or education leads interdepartmentally. Organizers recruit, train, supervise and develop community action teams and create connections at the neighborhood and community level. This position will prioritize building relationships in traditionally underrepresented communities, communities that reflect PPWI's patient base, specifically black communities.
- Must be committed to excellent customer service and the vision and values of PPWI.
- This individual must be committed to comprehensive, voluntary family planning programs and a person's right to make personal decisions regarding health care, including abortion.
- This person must possess the highest professional standards and initiative and have proven grassroots organizing skills.
- Experience living in or working in Black communities
This individual must possess the following qualities :
- Be organized and detail oriented
- Be committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in the community and the workplace
- Be flexible and willing to meet people where they are at
- Act with integrity and discretion
- Be able to work independently or as part of team
- Be able to think creatively and prioritize in the face of multiple options
This individual must possess the following skills :
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An ability to learn campaign technology and tools
- Strong interpersonal communication in both in a group setting and in 1 on 1s
- Ability to build systems to track large volumes of incoming data and outgoing work
- An ability to train others to take action
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position is predominantly sedentary requiring the ability to sit, bend, stand and walk. May require occasional stooping, reaching, stair-climbing. Requires repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard. Rarely requires kneeling, pushing/pulling and repetitive motions of the feet.
Physical demands of the position necessitate hearing, talking, handling and grasping regularly. May require lifting up to 30 pounds. Specific vision conditions include close vision reading. Requires the ability to operate a computer, telephone, fax, copy machine and adding machine or calculator.
The position is generally performed in an office environment but involves frequent interruptions. The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations, however, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform said essential functions.
Occasional hours, evening and/or weekend hours may be necessary.
This position requires traveling statewide, therefore a valid driver's license and auto insurance in accordance with agency liability standards is required. Must have transportation.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A High School Diploma or GED is required. Two years of related experience such as in community, grassroots, or issue campaign organizing; Bachelor's degree in related field preferred.ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
PPWI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.