NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is a 591-bed university-affiliated medical center, which offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are a major regional healthcare resource with a deep commitment to medical education and research, offering a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services. At NYU Langone Health, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental values. We strive to be a place where our exceptionally talented faculty, staff, and students of all identities can thrive. We embrace diversity, inclusion, and individual skills, ideas, and knowledge.For more information, go to, and interact with us on,,,,,and.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Secretary I - Nephrology - Mineola.
In this role, the successful candidate Performs diversified secretarial duties necessary to maintain and support the Practice and/or department. Duties may include scheduling appointments, insurance verification, referrals, prior authorizations for visits and/or procedures, compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence. Assists with the organization, maintenance, and flow of information and patients throughout the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides administrative support to the practice physicians and management. Answers telephone. Greets visitors and responds to routine questions. Maintains efficient filing system. Opens and distributes mail. Schedules appointments and maintains calendar. Types reports, memos, forms, letters, etc. Transcribes. May make travel arrangements Processes vouchers for reimbursement and maintain ongoing records of expenses. May maintain Physician academic calendar.
- Maintains patient files. Scans all patient information reports, insurance information and patient demographic, progress notes, etc. in designated section of patient's electronic chart and flags appropriately.
- Ensures proper referrals are in place for patient visits. Reviews superbills for missing information. Updates demographics in EPIC. Provide patients with HIPAA documentation.
- Makes appointments for patients and or families and maintain that patient's appointment accordingly. Confirms all new patient and follow up appointments. Prints weekly and daily schedules for the physicians. Schedules patient appointments in accordance with the office policy and patient schedules. Reschedules patients from the bump list. Contacts patients who did not show up for their appointments and document in chart.
- Types and maintains correspondences that are required for patient compliance of care. Edits/ types dictation of patient consultation and follow-up letters, and all other correspondence.
- Obtains all referrals and authorizations required by insurance carriers for patient services. Retrieves examination and procedure authorizations and referrals. Obtains admission authorizations and any other authorization required by division.
- Provides support for Special Procedures in regards to physician scheduling. May collect data for Monthly reports and coordinates results from various sections.
To qualify you must have a High School or Equivalent Required.1- 2 years Secretarial experience in a medical or a health care facility setting. Strong communication (both oral and written), multitasking, detail oriented, organizational, customer service, and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook). Knowledge of medical terminology and medical office procedures.
Associate's Degree in a related field. 3-5 years prior experience with surgical scheduling and obtaining authorizations for visits/ procedures. Knowledge of EPIC.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island's EEO policies, please . Please to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.
NYU Langone Health provides a salary range to comply with the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $48,308.00 - $48,308.00 Annually. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, specialty, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.
To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please