We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Customer Service Representative.
Act as a primary contact for NYU Langone patients who have questions about their balances, benefits, and insurance. Answer phone calls and/or electronic messages and follow-up on issues which could include submitting bills, calling insurance, correcting information, making outbound calls to patients, and entering detailed information in the billing system as assigned by management. Follow established protocols/scripts and handle issues in prescribed timelines but use independent judgement to resolve patient inquiries to maintain high-levels of patient satisfaction. The representative will establish and maintain effective relationships with patients and their families via active listening, empathy, rapport, courtesy and professionalism as a part of the revenue cycle team.
- Perform billing tasks assigned by management which includes answering calls, logging call data into Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, entering data, making outbound calls to patients and following-up on open issues, processes credit card payments, and/or other related responsibilities. Routes calls to other teams as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Read and apply policies and procedures to make appropriate decisions. Cross cover other areas in the office as assigned by management including Accounts Receivable/Denials or Authorizations.
- Attend assigned workgroups, meetings, and required training classes.
- Maintain continuous open communication with management via chat, email, phone calls, and in person.
- Work closely with provider offices on patient issues.
- Communicate with providers, patients, coders, collection agencies, or other responsible persons to ensure that claims are correctly processed by third party payers.
- Adhere to general practices, operational policies and procedures, FGP guidelines on compliance issues and patient confidentiality, and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that items in assigned work queue(s) are resolved within required timeframes using payer website, billing systems, and CBO pathways.
- Review unpaid balances and unresolved patient inquiries and make outbound calls to patients following established protocols.
- Enter account notes using standard formatting in Epic CRM and/or other systems.
- Utilize CBO Pathway and Resources guide to determine the actions needed to resolve patient balances and/or questions.
- Follow workflows provided in training classes and request additional training, management assistance, and medical coding expertise as needed.
- Identify payer and provider credentialing issues and address them with management.
- Perform daily tasks in assigned work queues and according to manager assignments.
- Provide input on system edits, processes, policies, and billing procedures to ensure that we maintain high-levels of patient satisfaction and reduced call volume.
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma or GED. Experience in customer service, medical billing, accounts receivable, insurance, or related duties; English usage, grammar and spelling; basic math; 2 years experience in a similar role.
Strong critical thinking and effective listening skills
Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
Epic systems experience preferred
Microsoft Office experience preferred
Strong PC skills preferred
Recent experience in a major inbound call center preferred
Foreign language preferred
Some knowledge of CPT and ICD10 preferred
Some knowledge of Healthcare / professional billing revenue cycle preferred
Professional demeanor and positive attitude required
Willingness to work a flexible schedule required
Team Oriented required
Adaptable to change
Self-control and patience
Time management skills required
Ability to operate under stressful conditions